Saturday, July 28, 2012

Megna leaves UNO after one season

In reading this World Herald article from Rob White this early departures really doesn't make a lot of sense as well - Jayson Megna who tallied (13g-18a-31pts) didn't exactly stand out last season as one of the top players in the WCHA, but I guess he would like to take his chances on developing in the minor leagues.
Rob White, World Herald --- Jayson Megna, the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s second-leading returning scorer, decided to turn pro with one of three NHL organizations and won’t return for his sophomore season.

Megna, who attended a development camp with Pittsburgh earlier this month, said he’d decide among the Penguins, Boston Bruins and Winnipeg Jets this weekend. He said he had six or seven offers in all.

“Obviously it was a tough decision for me to leave school after playing there for a year, playing with my brother (defenseman Jaycob) and my other teammates,” Megna said. “I love the city and the fans. But I made a decision that I think is best for me and my career.”

Megna, who made the WCHA all-freshman team in 2011-12 after recording 13 goals and 18 assists for 31 points, becomes another high-profile offseason departure for a program that slumped at the end of a 14-18-6 season.
Megna will be the 12th player this summer from the WCHA to for e-o their college eligibility and sign a professional contract.  Megna is an older player at 22 so he won't be going to the CHL route. 
Enhanced by Zemanta